The Performance Measurement and Verification Expert (PMVE) professional certification establishes the primary standard for individuals engaged in preparing or analyzing measurement and verification plans. PMVEs typically work as M&V specialists and design, elaborate, and implement M&V plans for comprehensive and complex energy efficiency projects. PMVEs also work as consultants and project facilitators for facility managers and building owners. PMVEs work as senior M&V analysts for public administration, utilities, and financial institutions. PMVEs typically have advanced applied expertise in various aspects of M&V and are capable of preparing/challenging M&V plans and reports. Most PMVEs will hold a technical degree and have a solid understanding of various energy efficiency measures.
NOTE: EVO’s PMVE certification is earned by demonstrated advanced field M&V work achieved through a mix of M&V relevant education, professional expertise, and experiences.
- M&V Planning in Practice Training Course, or
- Demonstrate significant field experience (minimum five years) in the preparation of M&V plans
- The M&V Planning in Practice exam tests the candidates’ competencies in:
- Understanding the challenges associated with the practical application of M&V
- Preparing an IPMVP compliant plan along with the associated M&V calculations
- Reviewing an M&V plan for compliance with the IPMVP
- Produce an M&V report compliant with the IPMVP
- The exam involves preparing key elements of M&V plans and determining savings in accordance with IPMVP within four (4) hours.
- An independent EVO instructor assesses the exam
- The instructor’s assessment includes written observations which provide feedback to the examinee.
PMVE APPROVAL CRITERIA
- Hold current PMVA certification
- Take the M&V Planning in Practice course and pass the certification exam with a mark of 70 % or higher.
- Have a technical college/university degree (provide a copy of the diploma)
- Work in the M&V/energy field for two years – could be M&V specialists at ESCOs, involved in design, elaboration, and implementation of M&V plans for energy efficiency projects, consultants and project facilitators for facility managers and building owners, senior M&V analysts for government, utilities, and financial institutions, or related.
- Complete the PMVE electronic application form available on EVO’s website and pay the certification fee
- The PMVE certification is valid for 36 months from the date of inception.
- Hold a current PMVA certification.
- Have significant and demonstrated field experience (minimum five years) in preparing M&V plans.
- Pass the M&V Planning in Practice examination with a 70 % or higher mark.
- Complete the PMVE electronic application form available on EVO’s website, upload information as required, and pay the certification fee.
PMVE RENEWAL CRITERIA – Mix of the following:
- Prepared at least two detailed M&V plans (names should be on the M&V plan; should provide the title of the M&V plan, when it was prepared or implemented – should be in the same renewal cycle, and contact details for reference)
- Review of M&V plans. Must provide evidence of administrative and technical work in reviewing such plans for programmatic and other purposes.
- Being employed in the field for the period of the certification (require start/end dates of employment and description of the duties. The duties should be the same or similar to the ones for PMVE approval)
- Teaching M&V, energy, EE, energy financing, etc. courses/webinars/masterclasses (should provide the title of the courses, dates when delivered, program/agenda showing they were the instructors, reference contact details)
- Speak at conferences on relevant topics (should provide the title of the event, dates within the renewal cycle, programs showing they were the speaker/presentation)
- Trainee to relevant courses (provide the certificate of attendance within the renewal cycle)
- Author of published articles, papers (provide the title, date of publication, copy or link to the publication; names should be on the publication)
- Being a registered M&V specialist in your country (if such certification exists in the country, the candidate should provide a certification number and link to a website where this can be verified, or contact details for reference, and a short outline of the requirements for that certification)
NOTE: If your government requires you to be IPMVP accredited, please make sure you apply for renewal 2-3 months before your certification is due to expire. Thus, it will not lapse, and you will have been continually accredited without interruption.